"If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Friday, August 15, 2008

my vampire disappointment

who would have thought i would like books about vampires and werewolves (ok...shape-shifters?). i became one of the oldest fans when i joined the throng of adolescent & teen girls last year and read stephanie meyer's saga: twilight, new moon, and eclipse. i enjoyed them so much that i recommended them to many folks- along with them my sons- and 3 of my boys actually read them! my then ten-year old commented to me, "mom, i never realized that i like romance novels!" so cute. so of course i've been excited for the release of the new novel, breaking dawn! my cute friend secured me a copy and i spent most of last week reading it, along with watching the olympics at night. sadly, i have to admit that i'm not a fan of her most recent book! in fact, i definitely won't be letting my boys read it, and i'm saddened that this book is geared to teens. why, you ask? some may think me a prude, but it just way too racy! i really enjoyed her past 3 novels (and i'm not even a sci-fi fan in the least) because they just drew me in with the storylines...even though at first i could never see myself reading and enjoying a book about such things! (i can hardly even get into star wars, and star trek is not even in the running). but these books were different - and fun! and, believe it or not, morally clean! but this new novel has taken a whole different direction and i have to say that that direction overtook the entire book. i've told my kids that i can't let them read it in good conscience. what a bummer! hope i haven't offended you if you love the book. this is just my own opinion!

4 comments:

The Seare Family said...

Hi Tracy,
I found your blog through Joni's! It has been fun to read. I am glad to have a way to keep updated on you guys. It was so fun to see you at Randy's this summer--I can't get over how grown up your boys are.

Lacey and Tina have been telling me about the Twilight series. I haven't read it but, I think I should start because it gets such rave reviews. Lacey told me the same thing about the last book, she was very disappointed.

The Muirs said...

Hey Tracy,

I found you...thanks for leaving the comment on my blog. I guessed on your blog title and I was right. I loved reading about your family. We had such a great time visiting with you & the boys. Thanks for lunch & the pool...it was GREAT! I haven't read the new book yet, but from the people I've talked to their reaction is the same. Most think it is pretty racy. Thanks again!

Kristen

Gayle said...

Hi Tracy! Thanks for the comment on my blog -- it's so fun to find yours! I'm excited to keep up with you and your family. I haven't heard if they'll be offering the photography class again -- I'll try to let you know if I hear about it. It's been so much fun for me.

It's funny your blog entry is about this -- I just barely read Amy's yesterday about the exact same thing (and she had the same reaction as you). I have not read the books yet, but Brian has and is reading the last one right now.

Amy said...

Hey Tracy!
Gayle told me about your blog - I'm excited to find it and to be able to hear about what is going on with your family! As Gayle mentioned, my reaction to Breaking Dawn was the same as yours. I was quite disappointed.

I look forward to seeing more on your blog and keeping up with your family. Say hi to everyone for us!