"If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Monday, July 27, 2009

Summer Reading





This summer I've decided to do some reading! Although these books aren't exactly heavy reading or classics, something about each one intrigued me. I enjoy observing people and trying to figure out the human psyche - and that's what I got. I enjoyed each one of these books! Let me know if you'd like to borrow one. (Well - a few are already borrowed out but you can get on the waiting list!). One thing I like about them (and the characters) is that they seem so real.

Shelter Me
is a book about a young mother who is recently widowed. I couldn't put it down. The Next Thing on My List is about a woman in her early 30's who is involved in a car accident - with an acquaintance - and the acquaintance is (tragically) killed. It follows the woman's road to healing. Still Alice is a book about a highly-regarded Harvard professor who has sudden-onset Alzheimer's disease. It follows her from her first symptoms through her journey with this debilitating disease. It reminded me many times of my grandmother, who also suffered from AD. I haven't seen the movie "My Sister's Keeper" yet - but I hear that it's different than the book. I have to admit that the writing style of My Sister's Keeper didn't totally enthrall me - but the subject material was incredibly thought-provoking and heartbreaking.

All in all, great reads! I give them all "thumbs ups!"

6 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I just finished My Sis Keeper. I agree with you that it was thought provoking. I did enjoy the writing from the different points of view of everyone involved in the situation. But I was wondering who was speaking some times. That was different. I also probably used an entire box of tissue while reading. I'm just that way.
I may check with you on borrowing one of those other books.

Joy

The Muirs said...

Hey, glad you made it home safe. It was so good to see you. It's funny that you should post about books, I'm looking for a GREAT book (or two) to take to Tahoe. What's the top pick that you would recommend to a non heavy reader? They all sound intriguing.

Ridd Rants & Raves said...

Kristen, I think you can't go wrong with any of the top 3. I really liked My Sister's Keeper too, though - but didn't draw me in w/its writing style. I agree w/Joy - that was one to keep tissues close by! We had a great time visiting in Utah - wow, you're an awesome bowler! 4 strikes - or was it 5 - in a row?? Another good book is The Year of Fog, by Michelle Richmond. Good luck - and happy reading. Have fun in Tahoe!

Joy said...

Hey Tracy, I read The Ladies Auxilary right after My Sisters Keeper. It was a good book, but I think that is the one that I had a hard time following who was speaking in it. I think you would like it. I have it if you want.

Heidi said...

I loved "Shelter Me" and "Next Thing on my List" - thanks for letting me read them! I need to mail you your copy of Shelter Me back to you!

Gayle said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I am definitely going to add them to my "list" (it's getting longer all the time!).