"If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Good Luck Charm

 

Hmmmm...well, it's not everyone who can say they have such an interesting good luck charm! On the evening of our wedding day (19 years ago), after a lovely reception, Brian and I sat down to open a few gifts from well-wishers. To our surprise and astonishment, this lovely geode, complete with a mummy surrounded by skulls - and a scary looking claw-hand ("the claw!") - was one of our wedding gifts! I was so shocked when we opened this - and sort of scared! It was wrapped up in wedding paper, but was in a box marked "crystal vase." The gift was from a cute little couple in their 80's...seemingly harmless people! We figure that one of their kids or grandkids must have made this in shop class at school and put it in a box in their parents'/grandparents' basement. The cute old folks probably looked around their house wondering if they had a gift to bring to a wedding and saw the box that marked "crystal vase," then thought that a vase would make a perfect gift for a newlywed couple!

Well, we've held on to this special geode (we call it "the claw") for all of our 19 years of wedded bliss. It sure has been a conversation piece. There have been times we've been tempted to hand it off as a white elephant gift, but we just haven't had the heart to do it. So, guess it's found it's permanent home!

Thought for the day - be sure to check out what's inside the box before re-gifting!! But then again, what fun we would have missed out on!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

FightOnLara said...

Ha ha! Marcus got a Kung Fu hamster at a work party when Lucas was 1 or 2 (I think). He moved with us to TW. Then two years ago, Marcus needed a white elephant gift at a Christmas party and we decided to wrap him up. I don't think the recipient understood just how special he was, and now I miss him and his nunchuks. :o(

Joy said...

What a great story Tracy, So what exactly did you write on the Thank you note? ;)


Joy

Ridd Rants & Raves said...

Lara, that is pretty funny about the kung fu hamster. I have many times acted too quickly and felt bad that I couldn't get the item back that I'd given away. Shoot! Joy, I believe I wrote something to the point of "Thank you for the unique (or interesting) wedding gift." I had to be very creative on that one!!

Heidi said...

Ha ha ha! I would love to see it in person!